Our Green Credentials
We are committed to reducing our carbon footprint and increasing sustainable practices at Goldstone Hall Hotel and Gardens.
Food, Garden and Kitchen
The bounty of our one-acre kitchen garden underpins the delivery of a restaurant celebrating the best of home grown, seasonal and preserved produce and other locally sourced goods.
We are self-sufficient in most fruit, salad and vegetables for at least 5 months of the year. We aim to source as many other food and drink items as we can from the local area. As we are located in rural Shropshire, we are fortunate to have access to a wide variety of local food and drink producers.
- We source all of our eggs for Ross’s free range hens 3 miles away
- Our butter is also sourced from a 3 mile radius
- We source local cheese from Moyden’s, Appleby’s and Westry Roberts, all located nearby in Shropshire
- We buy our meat from a locally
- We buy fish from a local fishmonger Flying Fish
- We source local honey
- We serve beer and ale made in Shropshire such as Joules Brewery, 3 miles away, and also Hobson’s Brewery
- We support local Shropshire wine merchants, Tanners, and we also buy direct from other English wine producers such as Camel Valley
- We make our own Gins and also source others from nearby
- We have our own supply of special mineral water which is drawn from the Triassic aquifer which sits below the hotel
- We compost all garden waste
- We recycle all cooking oils
- We collect and recycle vegetable and plant seeds to use for the following year
- We trial vegetable and fruit varieties for yield, flavour and suitability to soil type
- We use a local, organic manure for enriching our soils
- We grow our own cutting flowers which we bring into the hotel to decorate our communal spaces, bedrooms and for weddings and other events.
- We are a member of Garden Organic’s Heritage Seed Library, and we trial heirloom varieties of fruit and vegetables some of which have historical local origins. We serve these to our guests.
Buildings and Maintenance
- We use local suppliers for building and maintenance work. Our Oak Pavilion was made by Venables Brothers Ltd, who are local Shropshire Oak specialists who use sustainable woods
- Much of the materials used for building works are reclaimed such as local Staffordshire tiles and local sandstone
- We recycle all glass, carboard, plastic and paper
- We use old cloths that have been recycled for cleaning
- We have an inhouse laundry saving on transport miles
- All lightbulbs are LED saving on electricity consumption
- Soap is presented in delicate carboard wrappers in our en-suite bathrooms
- Our canapécones at events are made from recycled restaurant menus
- We buy local logs for our open fires
- We are investing in solar and green energy solutions for the future.
Educational, Community and Charitable
- All of the staff we employ live locally, and we often employ first time workers giving vital experience and a stepping stone to a career path in hospitality
- We run an in-house staff training programme for new starters
- We invest in specialist wine training for staff who work in the restaurant and bar
- We run a gardening apprenticeship scheme to encourage young people into horticulture
- We are an RHS partner garden and are committed to furthering the horticultural knowledge of our guests and visitors. We open our garden annually from March to October for non-staying guests to visit. We also leave monthly gardening and wildlife notes in our hotel bedrooms and label plants for visitors to see and learn from
- We host and run educational horticultural events in collaboration with other experts
- We open our garden for the National Garden Scheme annually and have done so for over six years. We donate all our takings to the NGS charities on these days
- We support other local fundraising causes and school events by donating tickets and vouchers for raffles and prizes
- We partner with a local food and drink festival and host fringe events as part of their festival programme
- We run a work experience programme for a local secondary school in Market Drayton
- We collaborate with three local tourist boards and promote other destinations within Shropshire, Staffordshire and Cheshire
- We are in the process of applying for the Staffordshire Environmental Quality Mark.
If you require further assistance please call 01630 661 202 or email firstname.lastname@example.org