The history of Goldstone Hall starts in the middle ages. A family with the name De Goldestan appear to have been on the site before 1180, and the Goldstones of Goldstone owned estates here until the 18th Century when Edward Pegg built a new house at Goldstone, on or alongside the site of the Goldstone family’s Elizabethan manor house. This (along with its additions) is the present Goldstone Hall.
Helen and Charles Ward bought the house in 1978 as a private home. Goldstone Hall Hotel began in 1983, two years after Charles’ death. The idea came from Helen’s friend, Ruth Rae, at their weekly yoga class in the Goldstone Walled Garden.